The Alexandria Museum is a small house in the center of the Village of Alexandria, Licking County, Ohio. The collections were first organized into a Museum in 1963, and found their current home in 1992 when the pre-1860 home of the Peebles was purchased for the purpose. Our facilities are comprised of two buildings, the main house and and outbuilding that was originally Dr. Laycock's office circa 1868, but the collections are on display only at the main house at this time.
Our Services include guided tours for groups and questions from the public, answered by our historians. Accessibility - The main house is two-story with narrow stairs leading to the second floor. The front porch includes a wheel chair ramp, but there is no access to the bathroom, or the upstairs for the handicapped.
Our Collections of the Museum include items related directly to the Village of Alexandria and the surrounding St. Albans Township, though that relationship may be derivative. For instance, we have a collection of woodcarvings done by a Muskingham County man that were donated to us by his nephew, who lived in Alexandria. Some items date from the founding of the Village in 1830, but most are from the late 1800s. We have a large collection of prehistoric stone tools, as well.
The Museum is volunteer operated by the Village of Alexandria's Board of Museum Trustees. The 2020 Board is comprised of Martha Sturgill, Greg Sturgill, Judy Kern, Howard Kern, and Sarah Chambers. The Museum Board meets the first Monday of every month at 7:00 p.m. at the museum.